Marie Curie Researcher in Wireless Networks (ER<10)
Starting Date: June/July 2015
Duration: 24 months
Location: Heraklion, Crete
Salary: Marie Curie flat rate for ER<10
Contact Person: Dr. Elias Tragos
Laboratory: Telecommunications and Networks (TNL)
Applications are invited from candidates who possess the necessary qualifications in order to fill one (1) full time Marie Curie Experienced Researcher Fellow Position within the Institute of Computer Science at the Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (FORTH) in the fields of Internet of Things, Software Defined and Cognitive Radio and radio resource management.
The selected Marie Curie Experienced Researcher (ER<10) will work within the MC-IAPP-SOrBet project. SOrBet is a EU funded project that brings together three partners: one university, one research institute and one SME. The basic goal is to develop technologies for enabling heterogeneous smart objects to provide smart building applications. More info regarding the SOrBet project can be found in www.fp7-sorbet.eu.
Description of position
The Experienced Researcher recruited by FORTH-ICS will conduct research on SDR and CR mechanisms for IoT devices and will assist in the development of the SOrBet platform. More specifically, the researcher will work on some of the following items:
- New waveforms for dynamic spectrum access networks with focus on IoT communications
- Cognitive radio with massive MIMO for 5G communications
- Distributed/centralized/cloud-based spectrum access/sharing mechanisms and assessment of their scalability and energy efficiency
- Information theory and performance limits of dynamic spectrum access
- Security and trust in networks of SDR-based IoT devices
Applicants should comply with the requirements of MC-IAPP for experienced researcher with less than 10 years of experience (ER<10). At the time of recruitment by FORTH the researcher has to be in possession of a doctoral degree or have at least 4 years of full-time equivalent research experience. Furthermore, the researcher has to have less than 10 years of full-time equivalent research experience.
The newly recruited researcher may be of any nationality.
At the time of recruitment the newly recruited researcher shall not have resided or carried out his/her main activity in Greece for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to his/her recruitment under the project. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
It is a full time position. The researcher will be recruited for a period of 24 months. The salary and mobility allowance are governed by the rules of MC-IAPP for ER<10. For more details please see the Guide for Applicants http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/doc/call/fp7/fp7-people-2013-iapp/33180-iapp_2013_-_guide_for_applicants_-_call_specific_part_en.pdf
- Competitive salary (MC flat rate for ER<10) to cover living and mobility costs.
- Opportunities for international collaboration and travel to world-class academic and industrial partners.
- Training in a range of state-of-the-art scientific skills, intellectual property and project management skills.
- Opportunity to work within an excellent environment at a laboratory fully-equipped with state of the art telecommunication equipment.
- PhD in Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering (or similar) or MSc with at least 4 years’ experience in research (full-time equivalent) AND less than 10 years’ experience in research (full-time equivalent),
- Strong experience in the areas of Wireless Networks, Software Defined Radios, Cognitive Radios, Internet of Things, mathematical modelling
- Experience in programming in Matlab, C/C++ and Java.
- Experience in sensor devices, smart applications is welcome.
- Experience in FPGA programming, GNU Radio and Software Defined Networks will be considered as a plus.
- Experience in ΑRM-based SoC platforms and micro-controllers is welcome.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (spoken and written).
For further information and for job application please contact: Dr. Elias Tragos (etragos “at” ics.forth.gr).
Job applications should be sent via email to Dr. Elias Tragos and have to include in the subject the phrase “SOrBet-612361 job application”.
Application must include the following:
- Detailed CV (europass format)
- Copies of PhD and Master thesis.
- Copies of the two most important papers.
- A motivation letter in-line with the job description (max two pages).
- Names and contact data of 2 references.
FORTH is an equal opportunities employer committed to increase the diversity of its researchers, and strongly encourages women to apply.